How to build some Quality Abdominals
It isn’t enough to simply shred all that stubborn fat off your mid-section, you need to actually have some abdominal thickness to have a truly impressive mid-section. There are 3 possible pathways you can travel to become the owner of an impressive midsection.
- Be born with them, damn genetic freaks!
- Train heavy for 15 years and end up with impressive abs from all the stabilizing required from heavy squatting, shoulder press, etc
- Train your abs hard twice a week
I’ll assume you will be requiring the third option, so let’s get stuck into a great abdominal routine that has been getting excellent results for our Planet Max 8 Week Challenge clients.
The Abdominals are a muscle, much like the rest of your muscles and we will not be training them with a million reps. Squeeze the abdominals each rep, hold the contraction the same way you would with biceps or chest training.
|SETS & REPS
|3 x 12
|Hanging leg raises
|3 x 12
|Weighted Cable crunches
|3 x 12
- Side crunches ensure that the obliques and intercostals get some work.
- Hanging leg raise work the whole abdominal wall, some supporting muscles underneath the lower section of the abs also come into play
- Rounding out this routine we will be doing some weighted crunches to add some thickness to your abs. Hold each contraction and take your time.
Assuming you have your body-fat levels low enough in the first place, after a few months this routine will add some nice thickness and detail to your abdominals.